The Top 25 Patent Blogs
|Written by Gene Quinn
Patent Attorney & Founder of IPWatchdog
Zies, Widerman & Malek
Follow Gene on Twitter @IPWatchdog
Posted: Feb 11, 2009 @ 3:06 pm
Last Updated: February 21, 2009. This will be the last update of this list for now, but I will revisit it in several months again.
I was wondering what the top patent blogs were so to inject some sense of objectivity I did some search using Technorati, which was not as easy as I had anticipated. While Technorati is the leading blog search engine and most comprehensive source of information on the blogosphere, it is not exactly easy to figure out what the top blogs are in any given area. For example, there are a lot of blogs that write occasionally about patents, but that does not make them a patent blog (at least in my opinion). Additionally, not all patent blogs have identified themselves by using the tag “patent”, “patents” or “uspto” in the Technorati description section.
I did go through all blogs using the tags “patent”, “patents” or “uspto,” and did some additional digging and checking to try and capture as many as I could find that are true patent blogs. After eliminating blogs that only occasionally discussed patent matters, and cutting off this “top list” at blogs within the top 1 million on Technorati, I was left with 25 blogs.
Technorati Rank is based upon Technorati Authority. Technorati Authority is the number of blogs linking to another blog within the last six months. The blog with the highest Technorati Authority is the #1 ranked blog. According to the State of the Blogosphere 2008, there are over 133 million blogs indexed by Technorait, so all of the blogs listed below are easily within the top 1% of all blogs indexed by Technorati.
If you have a patent blog in the top 1 million blogs on Technorati send me an e-mail and I will update the list.
Without further ado, the top 25 patent blogs are:
- Patently-O - Technorati Rank 21,202
- Patent Baristas - Technorati Rank 61,134
- IPWatchdog - Technorati Rank 80,245
- Against Monopoly - Technorati Rank 80,245
- Patently Silly – Technorati Rank 90,082
- Chicago IP Litigation Blog - Technorati Rank 117,073
- PHOSITA - Technorati Rank 101,726
- Spicy IP - Technorati Rank 129,347
- PLI Patent Practice Center - Technorati Rank 132,753
- Duncan Bucknell Company’s IP Think Tank - Technorati Rank 136,348
- Patent Prospector - Technorati Rank 152,448
- Securing Innovation - Technorati Rank 162,007
- Peter Zura’s 271 Patent Blog - Technorati Rank 163,794
- The Invent Blog- Technorati Rank 167,214
- Promote the Progress - Technorati Rank 198,166
- BlawgIT- Technorati Rank 204,976
- I/P Updates- Technorati Rank 213,371
- IP NewsFlash - Technorati Rank 221,777
- Orange Book Blog - Technorati Rank 221,777
- The IP Factor - Technorati Rank 250,588
- Philip Brook’s Patent Infringement Updates- Technorati Rank 273,434
- Patent Docs - Technorati Rank 300,413
- Antiticpate This! - Technorati Rank 351,677
- Patent Fools(now operated by IPWatchdog.com) – Technorati Rank 351,092
- IPJUR – Technorati Rank 420,564
- Patentably Defined - Technorati Rank 614,978
- Steve van Dulke’s Patent Blog – Technorati Rank 676,101
- IP Spotlight - Technorati Rank 752,199
UPDATED February 13, 2009 to add PHOSITA, so now we are up to 26 patent blogs in the top 1 million on Technorati.
UPDATED February 19, 2009 to add BlawgIT, so now we are up to 27 patent blogs in the top 1 million on Technorati.
UPDATED February 21, 2009 to add IPJUR, so now we are up to 28 patent blogs in the top 1 million on Technorati.
About the Author
|Eugene R. Quinn, Jr.
President & Founder of IPWatchdog, Inc.
US Patent Attorney (Reg. No. 44,294)
B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Rutgers University
J.D., Franklin Pierce Law Center
L.L.M. in Intellectual Property, Franklin Pierce Law Center
Send me an e-mail
Gene is a US Patent Attorney, Law Professor and the founder of IPWatchdog.com. He teaches patent bar review courses and is a member of the Board of Directors of the United Inventors Association. Gene has been quoted in the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the LA Times, CNN Money and various other newspapers and magazines worldwide
About the Author
Gene Quinn is a US Patent Attorney, law professor and the founder of IPWatchdog.com. He is also a principal lecturer in the top patent bar review course in the nation, which helps aspiring patent attorneys and patent agents prepare themselves to pass the patent bar exam. Gene started the widely popular intellectual property website IPWatchdog.com in 1999, and since that time the site has had many millions of unique visitors. Gene has been quoted in the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the LA Times, USA Today, CNN Money, NPR and various other newspapers and magazines worldwide. He represents individuals, small businesses and start-up corporations. As an electrical engineer with a computer engineering focus his specialty is electronic and computer devices, Internet applications, software and business methods.