The Top 50 Patent Blogs
|Written by Gene Quinn
President & Founder of IPWatchdog, Inc.
Patent Attorney, Reg. No. 44,294
Zies, Widerman & Malek
Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn
Posted: July 6, 2009 @ 1:41 am
I am pleased to announce the top 50 patent blogs. This is non-scientific, but efforts have been made make the list as meaningful as possible. Phase 1, which counted for 50% of the score, was an objective phase that was based on links and traffic, as determined by my research using Technorati and Alexa. Phase 2, which likewise counted for 50% of the score, was a voting phase and asked: (1) Which is your favorite patent blog? and (2) Which patent blogs do you read regularly. Every vote for question 1 counted as 2 points and every vote for question 2 counted as 1 point. In the charts that follow you can see the scores and vote totals. The maximum for each phase was 100 points.
Now for some observations to show just how popular the top patent blogs are in comparison with other websites and blogs:
- Five of the blogs below are in the top 2% of all websites according to Alexa traffic data, which has some 16 million websites indexed. (IPWatchdog, Promote the Progress, Invent Blog, PatentlyO, Spicy IP)
- 14 of the blogs on the list are in the top 5% of all websites according to Alexa. (IPWatchdog, Promote the Progress, Invent Blog, PatentlyO, Spicy IP, IP Think Tank, Patent Baristas, IP NewsFlash, The Business of Patents, Intellectual Property Watch, Intellectual Asset management, IP Kat, Against Monopoly, Patent Prospector)
- The top 14 blogs are all in the top 7.5% of websites according to Alexa traffic data.
- The top 3 blogs are all in the top 42,000 on Technorati, meaning they are in the top .055% of all active blogs on the Internet.
- The top 9 blogs are all in the top 100,000 on Technorati, and are in the top 1.3% of all active blogs on the Internet.
- The top 20 blogs are all in the top 400,000 on Technorati, meaning they are in the top 5.4% of all active blogs on the Internet.
Without further ado, the top 50 are:
- IP Kat
- Spicy IP
- Patent Baristas
- Intellectual Property Watch
- Patent Docs
- 271 Patent Blog
- Patent Prospector
- The Invent Blog
- IP Think Tank and The Prior Art
- Orange Book Blog
- IPJUR and European Patent Caselaw
- Promote the Progress
- IP NewsFlash
- Anticipate This!
- Patentably Defined
- India Patent
- Intellectual Asset Management
- Against Monopoly
- Patent Circle
- I/P Updates
- IP Spotlight
- Chicago IP Litigation
- The IP Factor
- Patent Arcade and File Wrapper
- Securing Innovation
- Patents 101 and IP Estonia
- Just An Examiner
- The Business of Patents
- Inventive Step
- Holman’s Biotech IP
- Washington State Patent Law
- California Biotech Law
- Patent Infringement Updates and Patent Assassins
- Russian Patents
- Georgia Patent Law
- Honoring the Inventor
- OC Patent Lawyer
- Nanomedicine & IP
- - - - - - - - - -
For information on this and related topics please see these archives:
Posted in: Blogs & Websites, Gene Quinn, IP News, IPWatchdog.com Articles, Patents
About the Author
Gene Quinn is a Patent Attorney and the founder of the popular blog IPWatchdog.com, which has for three of the last four years (i.e., 2010, 2012 and 2103) been recognized as the top intellectual property blog by the American Bar Association. He is also a principal lecturer in the PLI Patent Bar Review Course. As an electrical engineer with a computer engineering focus his specialty is electronic and computer devices, Internet applications, software and business methods.