Quantcast

Jave 8 May Not Be Compatible with EFS and Private PAIR

By Gene Quinn on March 17, 2014

Late in the day on Monday, March 17, 2014, the USPTO said that Oracle’s first version of Java 8 will be released on Tuesday, March 18, 2014. If you install Java 8 and encounter authentication issues when trying to use EFS Web or Private PAIR the USPTO says that you will need to revert to Java 7 Update 51. The USPTO says that Java 8 will not be an automatic update.

The USPTO is working with Oracle and Entrust “for a solution,” which sounds more ominous than the rest of the announcement that Java 8 may create authentication issues.

To avoid unnecessary downtime it might make sense to hold off updating to Java 8 until compatibility issues are addressed.

If you need technical assistance you can contact the Patent EBC at 1-866-217-9197 or via e-mail at ebc@uspto.gov.

The Author

Gene Quinn

Gene Quinn is a patent attorney and the founder of IPWatchdog.com. He is also a principal lecturer in the PLI Patent Bar Review Course, which helps aspiring patent attorneys and patent agents prepare themselves to pass the patent bar exam.

Gene’s particular specialty as a patent attorney is in the area of strategic patent consulting, patent application drafting and patent prosecution. He has worked with independent inventors and start-up businesses in a variety of different technology fields, but specializes in software, systems and electronics.

is admitted to practice law in New Hampshire, is a Registered Patent Attorney licensed to practice before the United States Patent Office and is also admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.

Gene is a graduate of Franklin Pierce Law Center and holds both a J.D. and an LL.M. Prior to law school he graduated from Rutgers University with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering.

You can contact Gene via e-mail.

Warning & Disclaimer: The pages, articles and comments on IPWatchdog.com do not constitute legal advice, nor do they create any attorney-client relationship. The articles published express the personal opinion and views of the author and should not be attributed to the author’s employer, clients or the sponsors of IPWatchdog.com. Read more.

Discuss this

There are currently 7 Comments comments.

1. Ro March 17, 2014 5:54 pm

Gene, thx, I think I’ve already been zapped by this.

This happened three years ago — got jammed for six months.

Why doesn’t anyone get FIRED for this kind of obvious incompetence?

2. angry dude March 17, 2014 10:34 pm

Ro
    I can attest that no federal worker in US government gets fired for incompetence
    Moreover, the more incompetent they are the higher they can move…
    Trust me on this

3. Michael Feigin, Esq.,Patent Attorney, http://PatentLawNY.com March 19, 2014 8:32 pm

I have a great solution – the USPTO should stop using Java and just have us upload the data file with keys each time. The whole Java thing is overkill and barely works on 9/10 of computers. It won’t work at all on Chomebooks or most tablets,

4. Gene Quinn March 20, 2014 12:29 pm

Michael-

I feel you, but does anything work on Chromebooks? :-)

I hope all is well.

-Gene

5. Michael Feigin, Esq.,Patent Attorney, http://PatentLawNY.com March 20, 2014 12:38 pm

More importantly, Java barely works on any platform. USPTO’s login system requires loading 50 megabytes of code just upload a data file.

As for Chromebooks … they’re the shnizz. I take it when i go out for consultations. You open it up and it’s on and works. No fuss. I love the thing. It’s not sufficient for a Patent Attorney as your regular computer (one reason being Private Pair, another being lack of network file server support), but for my wife’s practice ( http://therapy-nj.com ) it works great for her needs.

6. step back March 20, 2014 4:31 pm

Is the test still ongoing?

–for who first spots the spelling error (javE ?) in the title of this post? ;-)

As for how the USPTO incompetently deals with its EFS issues, please don’t get me started. The doctors tell me I need to de-stress.

7. Michael Feigin, Esq.,Patent Attorney, http://PatentLawNY.com March 20, 2014 4:42 pm

On multiple occasions I have had to call the ombudsman office to get the EFS division to find missing documents. They get scanned, but go missing and apparently, they need to rescan them from paper copies … for things which I file electronically.

If you don’t save the receipts, you’re in trouble. The only way they can find something you upload that they haven’t placed into the file (or rather, removed from the file because it does go in there as soon as you upload it) is with the EFS ID and only that department can access the document.