USPTO Patent Experience Externship Program
Serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. The US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) is responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks and providing inventors exclusive rights over their discoveries. It’s an effort that contributes to a strong global economy, encourages investment in innovation, and cultivates an entrepreneurial spirit in the 21st century. The USPTO is seeking applications for the unpaid Patent Experience Externship Program (PEEP). PEEP offers opportunities in the areas of engineering, science, and law.
The program is intended to give students an opportunity to experience what it’s like to work at PTO, as well as interact with experts in several disciplines, explore opportunities and develop or enhance personal and professional skills.
This is an 8-10 week summer program. There will be two entry on duty dates, one on May 27th, 2014, and the other on June 9th, 2014. You will be notified of your entry on duty date if you are selected and made a formal offer to participate.
Examples of positions within PEEP include:
- Deputy Commissioner for Patent Operations: Provides administrative oversight to nine Patent Technology Centers and coordinates the activities of the examination of applications for patents; and is responsible for all patent examining functions in the Technology Centers and all operational aspects of patent application, initial examination, patent publications, and international applications processing.
- Office of Patent Information Management: plays a critical role in providing automation technologies, e-commerce products, information resources, and customer support to patent business area employees and to global members of the Intellectual Property community.
- Office of Patent Legal Administration: The mission of the Office of Patent Legal Administration (OPLA) is to assist in the development and administration of U.S. patent law, advise the USPTO on patent examination policy and formulate new regulations, policies, and procedures regarding patents.
All applicants applying to participate in the Patent Experience Externship Program must meet the following requirements:
- Must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a degree-seeking student at an accredited university (either an undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate). You must:
- Have at least half of an undergraduate’s academic course load must be in engineering, computer science, or other general sciences; or
- Be enrolled in a law degree program at an accredited university, with an undergraduate degree in engineering, computer science, or other general sciences; or
- Be a Master’s or PhD candidate enrolled at an accredited university seeking a degree in engineering, computer science, or other general sciences.
- Must be in good academic standing.
- If you are an undergraduate student, you must have completed at least 60 hours of credit prior to your first day of work.
For more information and to apply for this Externship please see USAJobs.gov PEEP-2014-0001.
About JobOrtunities™ Job OpeningsThe IPWatchdog.com JobOrtunities™ Job Openings listings advertise job openings from firms and corporations seeking to hire intellectual property professionals. For more information and to place a job opening on IPWatchdog.com please visit JobOrtunities™ Job Submissions.