Stryker is seeking an intellectual property manager, with an engineering background, for it’s Mahwah, NJ location. The Stryker IP Manager will provide IP support for the Spine and Joint Replacement Divisions. These are fast paced environments with a focus on innovation and strategy. The IP Manager will be responsible for managing the full patent lifecycle including: preliminary patentability assessments, liaise with outside counsel on the drafting of applications and leading efforts for the maintenance/annuity payment decisions for granted patents. The IP Manager will provide IP support for new product development and due diligence for M&A activities. The IP Manager will perform competitive searching/analysis of both the patent and commercial product landscapes in support of strategic initiatives. This position requires excellent communication skills and the ability to organize and prioritize work across a range of IP support functions.
Duties to include:
- Review invention disclosures and guide patenting decisions.
- Initiate and manage patentability, right to use and state of the art patent searches.
- Liaise with outside counsel to prepare, file and prosecute patent applications and perform patent utilization and right-to-use analysis.
- Provide IP clearances for new products and support to development and research teams.
- Perform competitive analysis of patent and commercial product landscapes.
- Perform IP due diligence activities with respect to third party licensing and acquisition projects.
- Support and participate in patent assertions and defenses, including but not limited to discovery initiatives, witness selection, and scheduling depositions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Bioengineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience in development of research in the medical device industry or other appropriate, related industry.
- 2+ years medical device experience
- Demonstrated expertise in the design, clinical use and history of medical implants and instrumentation
- Prefer applied understanding of USPTO patent prosecution processes and experience performing patent searches
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize
Please send a Resume and Cover Letter outlining Education in Engineering to Chrissie Fay
Stryker is one of the world’s leading medical technology companies and, together with its customers, is driven to make healthcare better. The company offers innovative products and services in Orthopaedics, Medical and Surgical, and Neurotechnology and Spine that help improve patient and hospital outcomes.