HID Global is looking to hire an Assistant Intellectual Property Counsel. If you are creative, driven to succeed, inspired by challenge and take pride in getting things done, we welcome your enthusiastic interest in joining the HID Global team as Assistant Intellectual Property Counsel. In this role, you will have the opportunity to immediately: (i) develop IP strategies to protect HID’s next-generation of highly integrated products and services; (ii) contribute to the favorable resolution of ongoing IP disputes; and (iii) support HID’s acquisition activities, including IP reviews of potential acquisition and IP portfolio integration.
Reporting to the VP of Intellectual Property, as Assistant Intellectual Property Counsel the ideal candidate will have at least 4 years of experience in a wide-range of intellectual property legal matters from which to: (i) shape and execute intellectual property strategies to support business goals using sound, practical judgment and good business sense; and (ii) counsel and educate business leaders and technology teams on all intellectual property matters.
Duties to Include
Other duties may be assigned.
- Analyzing and mitigating the risks of third party intellectual property;
- Assisting in patent litigation and pre-litigation activities, including working with outside counsel to develop strategies to initiate, defend, resolve and prevent various forms of litigation;
- Supporting commercial and M&A transactions, including IP reviews of potential acquisition and IP portfolio integration;
- Identifying and evaluating patentable and strategic inventions from business units;
- Managing prosecution decisions for a worldwide patent portfolio and coordinating with outside counsel; and
- Assisting in a wide range of other intellectual property issues, including copyright, trademark, and trade secret matters.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to collaborate effectively and positively with others;
- Exemplary customer orientation focus and success in creating a superior customer experience;
- Sound legal and business judgment;
- Strong organizational skills, maintaining attention to detail on multiple projects simultaneously and adjusting to changing priorities and deadlines;
- Proactively isolate and prioritize issues to focus on implementing both top-level, strategic solutions as well as the day-to-day initiatives;
- Ability to quickly assimilate and understand complex situations and information, including highly technical information;
- Efficiently manage intellectual property portfolios and outside counsel globally;
- Monitor legal budgets;
- Excellent analytical and communication skills; and
- Travel availability up to 15%.
Education and/or Experience
- A strong technical background with an undergraduate degree in Engineering or Computer Science. Other scientific/technical backgrounds will be considered depending upon relevant experience.
- Juris Doctorate degree (JD) from a top rated law school;
- Admitted to practice law in at least one state and registered to practice before the USPTO; and
- Minimum of 4 years relevant experience in IP and technology law, including at least 3 years prior practice with a nationally recognized IP firm
- Ability to effectively communicate in the English language, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to read and interpret technical journals, specifications, international technical standards, etc.
- Proficient in MS Office applications, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Familiar with operating systems, such as Windows, etc.
Candidates can apply ONLINE
About HID Global
HID Global powers the trusted identities of the world’s people, places and things. We make it possible for people to transact safely, work productively and travel freely. Our trusted identity solutions give people secure and convenient access to physical and digital places and connect things that can be accurately identified, verified and tracked digitally. Millions of people around the world use HID products and services to navigate their everyday lives, and over 2 billion things are connected through HID technology. We work with governments, educational institutions, hospitals, financial institutions, industrial businesses and some of the most innovative companies on the planet. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, HID Global has over 3,000 employees worldwide and operates international offices that support more than 100 countries. HID Global® is an ASSA ABLOY Group brand. For more information, visit www.hidglobal.com.