Unified Patents is again growing its legal department, and seeks experienced, registered patent attorneys. Applicants must have at least 3 years of law firm or other relevant experience at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) and post-grant petition (IPR, PGR, and CBM), reexamination, and other administrative drafting and litigation experience.
Applicants should have a degree in Electrical Engineering (EE) or Computer Science (SC), as well as experience with video codecs, coding, cryptography, compression, signals, wireless communications, or other algorithmic subject matter. Patent examination experience is a plus; clerking experience is a plus; familiarity with ongoing cases post-SAS Institutes is a plus. Must be willing to work within a team, work well independently, and enjoy writing and editing. Journal and filing experience a plus. Strong preference for candidates located in the Washington, DC area.
Duties to Include
- Managing patent office proceedings internally
- Drafting, filing, and litigating patent office proceedings, e.g., inter partes reviews
- Handling calls with decision makers
- Preparing for, conducting depositions
- Presenting at oral hearings
- Drafting motions and briefs
- Supporting senior attorneys with management of ongoing matters
- Support docketing, e-filing, deposit account, budgeting, and other IP functions
- Editing work product of colleagues, outside counsel
- Amicus curiae drafting and support; comment drafting and support
- Contract, licensing, and other legal support services
- Legal writing, support, and other various legal duties
Qualified candidates will have a minimum of three years of PTAB experience, particularly in drafting petitions, filing, litigating and deposition. Additional requirements include:
- State and Patent Bar passage
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills
Interested Candidates are encouraged to apply online at: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/
About Unified Patents
Unified Patents is a 230+ international membership organization that seeks to improve patent quality and deter unsubstantiated or invalid patent assertions in defined technology sectors (Zones) through its activities. Its actions are focused broadly in Zones with substantial assertions by Standards Essential Patents (SEP) holders and/or Non-Practicing Entities (NPEs). These actions may include analytics, prior art, invalidity contests, patentability analysis, administrative patent review (PTAB), amicus briefs, economic surveys, and essentiality studies. Unified works independently of its members to achieve its deterrence goals. Small members join for free while larger ones pay modest annual fees.