John is a US patent attorney and a patent lecturer. He is an Adjunct Law Professor at John Marshall Law School, and he is also the principal lecturer/author of the PLI Patent Bar Review Course, a course that he originally created. In fact, since John began teaching patent bar review courses in 1995, he has personally taught approximately 40% of all practicing patent attorneys and agents how to successfully become admitted to the Patent Bar. John has also taught over 400 US Patent Examiners at the United States Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) in the “Law and Evidence Course” necessary for them to advance to Partial Negotiation authority as Examiners.
John started his career as a civil engineer with the Federal Highway Administration as a Bridge and Highway Field Engineer. Following 5 years as an engineer, he was hired by the United States Patent and Trademark Office as a Patent Examiner for automobile transmissions and control systems. Before leaving the Patent Office John had risen to the level of Special Assistant to the Commissioner for Patents. In 1987 John entered private practice as a patent attorney, and subsequently became Chief Executive Officer of Woolcott & Company, which was the oldest and largest patent research and document delivery firm in the United States. He also remains a member of the full service patent firm Berenato, White & Stavish ( www.bwsiplaw.com ), a successor firm to the firm he originally founded in 1988, Wells & White.
John is admitted to practice law in Virginia, Pennsylvania and the District of Columbia, and is a patent attorney, registered to practice before the United States Patent Office (Reg. No. 32,634). He is also admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. John’s primary areas of expertise are in the areas of patent and trade secret law, patent prosecution and patent litigation. As a member of the patent bar he is licensed to practice patent law throughout the United States, and has worked with inventors throughout the United States, Europe and Asia.
John’s Articles on IPWatchdog
- What is a Computer? Dec 22 2013
- Help for the Supreme Court in CLS Bank Dec 15 2013
- The Latest Intelligence on the Updated Patent Bar Exam Nov 06 2012
- Patent Reform and Patent Bar Review, What You Should Know Oct 25 2011
- Is it too late on Patent Reform? Aug 30 2011
- My Advice to Google – Keep Acquiring Patents Aug 28 2011
- An Interview with Sharon Barner, Former PTO Deputy Director Apr 10 2011
- The PTO Paradox: A Gatekeeper Mired in the Past Jan 12 2011
- Intellectual Ventures: Independence Day Take II Dec 20 2010
- A Bird’s Eye View of the Bilski Oral Argument Nov 10 2009
- Mea Culpa, Patent Reform and Other Issues Jan 15 2009