Joe Allen is a Featured Contributor on IPWatchdog.com. Joe’s regular monthly column will publish on the first Monday of every month.
Joe is a 30-year veteran of national efforts to foster public/private sector commercialization partnerships, and author of numerous articles on technology management for national publications.
Joe served as a Professional Staff Member on the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee with former Senator Birch Bayh (D-IN), and was instrumental in working behind the scenes to ensure passage of the historic Bayh-Dole Act. He is our resident Bayh-Dole expert, and will write frequently about Bayh-Dole and issues surrounding the commercialization of university research.
Joe has served as the Executive Director of Intellectual Property Owners, Inc., a trade association representing major R&D companies, he was involved in the creation of the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and he also served at the U.S. Department of Commerce as the Director of the Office of Technology Commercialization.
From 1992 until 2004, Allen was with the National Technology Transfer Center (NTTC), becoming President in 1997. Clients included NASA, the Department of Defense, EPA, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Department of Commerce.
Between 2004 until 2007, Allen was the Vice President and General Manager of the West Virginia High Technology Consortium Foundation.
In 2008, Joe founded Allen & Associates, through which he offers consulting services to universities and private sector enterprises as they attempt to navigate the research to monetization process.
Joe’s Articles on IPWatchdog.com
- When Lives Depend on Tech Transfer Nov 03 2014
- Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Bayh-Dole Sep 28 2014
- A Passionate Fight Against Breast Cancer Sep 02 2014
- Does Innovation Lead to Prosperity for All? Jul 28 2014
- Fumbling Away The Future Jun 22 2014
- Lost in Translation Jun 03 2014
- Git’er Done! Take the Brake Off Federal Tech Transfer Apr 07 2014
- Hunting Bayh-Dole Vampires Mar 23 2014
- It’s Not Paranoia – They Really Are After You Mar 04 2014
- Does University Patent Licensing Pay Off? Jan 27 2014
- Standing Up to the Anti-Patent Beanball Jan 01 2014
- NIH Gets It Right: Bayh-Dole is not for Price Controls Nov 24 2013
- The Passing of a Legend: Remembering Howard W. Bremer Oct 14 2013
- A Reply to the New England Journal of Medicine Sep 10 2013
- Reforming the Federal R&D System Sep 02 2013
- High Noon for Bayh-Dole Jul 17 2013
- Integrating the Federal R&D System into the Economy May 29 2013
- Being Green: Bayh-Dole Makes Every Day Earth Day Apr 22 2013
- Jeopardizing U.S. Drug Development Mar 24 2013
- Time to Take a Stand Mar 13 2013
- Bowman v. Monsanto: Striking at the Roots of Innovation Feb 10 2013
- Gene Patents: Getting Beyond Witch Trials Jan 16 2013
- Taking Directions from the Lost Jan 07 2013
- Plucking the Golden Goose Won’t Help Patients Dec 03 2012
- Shooting Ourselves in the Foot Oct 19 2011
- After Stanford v. Roche: Bayh-Dole Still Stands Jun 13 2011
- Remembering Norman Latker: The Passing of a Friend Apr 25 2011
- The Enactment of Bayh-Dole, An Inside Perspective Nov 28 2010