Intellectual Property Today has once again come out with its much anticipated list of the top patent law firms. The 2010 list has many of the usual suspects on it, and the complete list of patent law firms is available in PDF for $25. You can also obtain the list by getting a copy of the March 2010 IP Today magazine, which will be provided on a complimentary basis while supplies last for those who subscribe to IP Today.
Even if you are not interested in the entire list, I do recommend visiting the IPToday.com blog where the top 25 patent firms are listed, together with information on the number of patents obtained during by these firms in 2007, 2008 and 2009, along with a percent increase in 2009 over 2008.
At the top of the list was Oblon Spivak, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt, LLP, with 4043 utility patents, 72 design patents, which represents an increase of 6.5% in 2009 over 2008. When reached for comment Bradley D. Lytle, Partner, and Member of the firm’s Management Committee told me:
We are proud of our record accomplishment of obtaining over 4000 U.S. patents in 2009, the most by any law firm. In a challenging year of economic downturn affecting companies, law firms and the USPTO, we view our success as a product of the dedicated efforts of our staff to work collaboratively and effectively with the USPTO and our clients to promptly identify allowable subject matter of sufficient scope to protect our clients’ innovation.
Without further ado, the Top 25 according to IPToday are:
- Oblon, Spivak, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt, L.L.P.
- Sughrue Mion, PLLC
- Birch, Stewart, Kolasch & Birch, LLP
- Oliff & Berridge, PLC
- Harness, Dickey & Pierce PLC
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Fish & Richardson
- Townsend and Townsend and Crew LLP
- Blakely Sokoloff Taylor & Zafman LLP
- Nixon & Vanderhye P.C.
- McDermott Will & Emery LLP
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Cantor Colburn LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear LLP
- Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, P.C.
- Staas & Halsey LLP
- Wenderoth, Lind & Ponack, L.L.P.
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Schwegman, Lundberg & Woessner, P.A.
- Merchant & Gould
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP and Workman Nydegger, P.C.
- Baker Botts L.L.P.