The United States Patent and Trademark Office is a fully user fee-funded organization with an annual budget in excess of $3 billion and approximately 13,000 employees comprised largely of engineers, scientists, and attorneys. The USPTO, a progressive organization at the forefront of intellectual property issues around the world, is seeking high performing professionals to join its Senior Executive Team as Technology Center Group Directors.
The Group Director will serve under the administrative direction of an Assistant Deputy Commissioner for Patent Operations, and will exercise administrative and technical authority over a patent examining group. The Group Director is responsible for the following:
- Comprehensive planning and management functions essential to effective patent examining group operations
- Recommends or initiates programs and procedures to implement official policies, and assists in the development of patent examining practice and procedures and maintains quality, timeliness and quantity performance standards
- Adjudicates petitions for the Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Performs staff functions related to human resource management and manpower utilization, training and career development, along with the Office of Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity program goals affecting the group
- Supports automation and the classification and documentation of the technological arts
Experience must have been at a sufficiently high level of difficulty to clearly show that the candidate possesses the required professional and technical qualifications and executive core qualifications set forth below.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their application materials that they possess managerial attributes in the Professional/Technical Qualifications (PTQs). Each response should include a brief summary of the applicant’s experience in relation to the specific PTQ and specific examples of accomplishments. Applicants must also clearly demonstrate in their application materials that they possess managerial attributes in the five Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs). Each response should include a brief summary of the applicant’s experience in relation to the specific ECQ and specific examples of accomplishments.
Professional Technical Qualifications (PTQs):
- Knowledge of management principles, theories, and practices as applied to a technological organization. This includes knowledge of resource acquisition and application, fundamental production measurement concepts, monitoring work status, and assessing overall effectiveness, efficiency, productivity and quality of work product of the organizational unit.
- Knowledge of public administration principles and theories and their relationship to the development and implementation of agency and national policies and programs. Ability to establish program/policy goals and the structure and processes to implement them.
- Knowledge of the scientific, technical and legal matters associated with the patent process, which includes the preparation and/or prosecution of patent applications, the classification of patents, or comparable experience in the patent field. Competency in these areas must be sufficient to manage the patent process in the chemical, electrical or mechanical arts.
Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)
For the following five Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs), you are required to submit a narrative response addressing your specific knowledge, skills, and abilities that demonstrate your possession of these qualifications. Be sure to provide specific examples of what you’ve done that demonstrates your possession of each ECQ. For more information about the Executive Core Qualifications please visit this site: Guide to SES Executive Core Qualifications
- Leading Change – This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
- Leading People – This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization’s vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide a teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
- Results Driven – This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems and calculating risks.
- Business Acumen – This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial and information resources strategically.
- Building Coalitions – This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
Applications for this position must be received by 11:59pm Eastern time on April 5, 2019. Interested candidates can apply online via the USAJobs.gov and should include the following in your application packet: a resume, narratives describing your experience (specific tasks) and accomplishments against the three Professional Technical Qualifications (PTQs) along with your narrative responses to the five Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs).
A complete application consists of:
- A resume or any other written format you choose to describe your job-related qualifications; optional cover letter: Your resume should indicate your citizenship and should list your educational and work experience. Please Note: Responses to job questions that are not fully supported by the information in your resume may result in adjustments to your rating.
- Your narrative responses to the Professional Technical Qualification (PTQs) and Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) questions. Do not write “see attachment” or “see resume”. Input narrative responses when prompted.
- Transcript(s) – Unofficial copies are acceptable; however, if selected you will be required to furnish official transcripts. It is your responsibility to provide adequate proof that you meet the educational requirements. Inadequate or illegible information could result in non-qualification and loss of consideration.
Please submit a current SF-50 if you are a Federal Employee. If you are a current or previous Senior Executive Service career member you must submit a copy of your Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) to show proof.
NOTE: Submit only the documents requested. Additional documents will not be reviewed by the rating panel.
Closing date: 04/05/2019
Service: Senior Executive
Pay scale & grade: ES 00
Salary: $126,148 to $189,600 per year
Full-Time – Permanent
Agency contact information
PATENT AND TRADEMARK OFFICE
550 Elizabeth Lane
Alexandria, Virginia 22314