Whirlpool Corporation is seeking qualified candidates for a Legal Counsel opening in their Patent Operations group within the Law Department. Their Patent Operations team of eleven includes attorneys, patent agents, legal specialists and an administrative assistant. They are a group that enjoys working together in a collegial environment. This position will be responsible for providing legal counsel and services on matters involving patents, copyrights, trade secrets and other proprietary information. This position supports Whirlpool’s global product organization, including its advanced development and product engineering groups, and will lead Whirlpool on intellectual property issues involving patents, copyrights, trade secrets, and proprietary information.
Duties to Include:
A Senior Counsel in the Patent Team is expected to bring both leadership and expertise to the area of patents and product leadership both to internal clients as well as to the law department as a whole. Specifically, you will be able to ensure Whirlpool’s unique and compelling innovations are a core driver of Whirlpool’s success in product leadership. Specific responsibilities include: developing and executing patent strategies related to assigned Whirlpool technology areas; reviewing inventions and advising on patentability issues and arranging for the filing and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications; preparing and prosecuting patent applications; establishing product clearance plans and reviewing and advising on patent infringement risks; supporting various innovation generation activities such as invention workshops to target development of strategic intellectual property; providing intellectual property advice and training to clients; and drafting and assisting in the negotiation and administration of intellectual property related contracts.
- JD from an accredited law school, with strong academic credentials and Bar Admission, and admission to practice before the
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Technical Bachelor’s Degree
- Approximately 10+ years of legal experience as an attorney
- 8 to 12 years of relevant practice experience, including working knowledge in multiple substantive legal practice areas
- Technical Bachelor Degree, preferably electrical or mechanical engineering or related field
- Experience in patent preparation, prosecution, IP transactions (e.g., development and licensing agreements), product clearance, and patent litigation is strongly preferred
- Ability to prioritize and manage a large volume of concurrent projects
- Strong analytical, research, organization and management skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication (both written and oral) skills
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results as a leader or member of a cross functional team
- Ability to provide strong strategic thought to Whirlpool’s patent processes
- This position requires execution of Whirlpool’s Non-Disclosure and Non-Competition Agreement
- Demonstrated commitment to quality (substantive and service delivery)
- Broad perspective and appreciation of total situation
- Demonstrated ability to: be highly productive; recognize and cut to core of legal issues; provide practical, business-oriented approach to problem solving
- Knows how to get projects done and who to involve
- Experience, bearing and demeanor instills confidence in peers and clients
- Functions as a “team player”
- Demonstrated good communication skills (up, down and across)
- Requires extremely limited supervision, nominally reports to Group Counsel, Patent Counsel, or Associate General Counsel mentor
Interested Candidates are asked to Apply Online.
About Whirlpool Corporation
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the top major appliance manufacturer in the world, with approximately $21 billion in annual sales, 97,000 employees and 65 manufacturing and technology research centers. We market leading brands including Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, Jenn-Air, Indesit in nearly every country throughout the world.
Whirlpool Corporation is consistently ranked as one of the top 25 most reputable U.S. companies and as one of Fortune Magazine’s most admired companies. Our vision is to be the best kitchen and laundry company, in constant pursuit of improving life at home through our mission: Earn Trust and Create Demand for our Brands in a Digital World.
At Whirlpool, prudent risk-taking, innovation and empowerment are fostered. We pride ourselves on being nimble–innovating at the pace of life, forward-thinking and entrepreneurial. Furthermore, we believe that each employee is additive and brings to the organization unique skills and attributes which impact the business they share. They collectively embrace and deliver focused on their enduring values: Respect, Integrity, Diversity & Inclusion, Teamwork and, Spirit of Winning; they help their fellow employees, consumers, shareholders and communities accomplish their goals so they can make the most of Moments that Matter.
At Whirlpool Corporation, we believe that all people matter. Celebrating diversity and including thousands of perspectives empower us to create products that blend into every concept of home. Whirlpool Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Additional information about the company can be found at WhirlpoolCorp.com, or find us on Twitter at @WhirlpoolCorp.