RPX Corporation is seeking a Senior Patent Engineer to join its Patent Analysis department, which synthesizes complex technologies and legal patent issues into actionable intelligence for RPX executives and clients. Patent Analysis research supports initiatives in defensive portfolio acquisitions, prior art validity actions, and advisory services. The positions in Patent Analysis require a deep and broad knowledge of specific technology sectors.
As a Senior Patent Engineer, you will analyze patent claims and related materials in view of legal, technological, and business environments to understand the technical merit and patent quality of individual patent portfolios. Your main responsibility is to distill a body of analysis and research into a concise, clear, and actionable assessment to both technical and non-technical audiences. This position reports in to the Director of Patent Analysis.
This position is located in our office in San Francisco, CA. Remote work opportunities and contractor opportunities are not available for this position.
Duties to Include:
- Assess numerous engineering and legal factors to extract patent value proposition
- Draw on detailed knowledge of relevant technologies, companies, and industries
- Identify the products and services to which a patent claim relates
- Explain complex technical issues to nontechnical audiences
- Isolate critical technical components of patents, products, and services
- Learn and apply legal concepts related to patents including prosecution and litigation
- Research timeliness of patents in support of validity challenges and prior art reports
- Support analysis conclusions with research driven logic and confidence
- Collaborate across the organization in-person and with virtual, global teams
- Share assessment and communicate findings to relevant internal and external clients
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- Master’s degree or Doctor of Philosophy viewed favorably
- Patent Attorney or Agent viewed favorably
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience with patent analysis and licensing engagements in explaining highly technical subject matter;
- Involvement in patent issues such as prosecution, litigation, and valuation viewed favorably
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates a shown history of success, ownership, and accountability
- Service-minded and passionate about results with an ability to develop positive relationships
- Capable of handling deadlines and conflicting priorities to deliver quality results
- Motivated and focused with a willingness to pursue additional projects
- Able to demonstrate good judgment
- Highly focused, organized, and pay attention to details
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
Broad expertise in semiconductor process, integrated circuits design, computer and consumer electronics system architecture, and implementation of areas such as:
- Semiconductor manufacturing (e.g., fabrication process, packaging, assembly, and test)
- Processors (e.g., standalone, embedded, multi-core, SoC, x86, ARM, GPU)
- Memory (e.g., DRAM, Flash, embedded memory)
- Analog circuits and clock management (e.g., ADC/DAC, PLL, Amplifier)
- Standards and Interfaces (e.g., PCIe, JEDEC, high speed serial connectivity, bus architectures)
- Sensors (e.g., image sensor, MEMS)
- Display panel structure (e.g., OLED, Micro-LED)
- System integration (e.g., Laptop, Mobile handset, Set-Top-Box, Server)
Interested Candidates are asked to APPLY ONLINE
About RPX Corporation:
RPX Corporation is the leading provider of a comprehensive suite of solutions to help companies manage the risks and costs that arise at any stage of their IP program. Founded in 2008, RPX provides cost-effective, predictable solutions to the IP counsel’s most challenging problems by harnessing the power of our deep patent expertise, our client network, industry relationships, and a more commercial approach to resolving legal disputes. RPX acquires patents in the open market and out of litigation that could be used offensively against its clients and executes large-scale structured transactions on behalf of its clients. It also provides innovative patent litigation insurance and delivers in-depth market intelligence and strategic advisory services to its client network.
At RPX, we are a team of go-getters who thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. We’re highly-collaborative and believe that ideas and perspectives from a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders produce the best results. We rely on disciplined, logical, and organized thinking and planning to develop innovative solutions to our clients’ complex intellectual property challenges.