Design IP, a small intellectual property boutique law firm located in Allentown, Pennsylvania, seeks a patent attorney or agent to join our growing practice. This is a Full-time, permanent position.
Our patent professionals choose their own work/life balance. Our minimum billing expectation for full time attorneys/agents is 1500 hours per year, and we welcome experienced attorneys or agents who prefer a flexible or part-time schedule. Base salaries are based on expected billings and bonuses are paid on a percentage basis for additional billings. We offer benefits including retirement, health insurance and disability.
We also offer the lifestyle benefits of the Lehigh Valley, including short commute times (less than 15 minutes for most of our staff), reasonable cost of living, excellent public and parochial schools, close proximity to Philadelphia, New York and Washington, DC, and minor league hockey and baseball teams. This is a great place to live and raise a family.
Duties to Include:
Patent preparation and prosecution will be the primary area of emphasis for this position. There will be, however, opportunities to work in nearly all areas of intellectual property law, including IP opinions and agreements, IP transaction support, and IP litigation. We strive to hire and develop well-rounded attorneys who become trusted legal advisers to the clients served by our firm.
Skills You Will Need:
- Interact with inventors, analyze patentability and clearance issues, and draft polished, well-written patent applications that take into account the applicable legal standards and the clients commercial/business needs.
- Analyze Office Actions, make clear and concise recommendations for further action, and prepare well-reasoned and organized responses with appropriate legal citations (including examiner interviews, where appropriate).
- Perform infringement and clearance analysis and prepare initial drafts of opinions.
- Have a comfort level with creating, review, and editing IP-related agreements.
- Have a comfort level with a wide range of technologies, including electrical, computer-implemented inventions, and mechanical.
- 2+ years of law firm patent preparation and prosecution experience under the supervision of an experienced patent practitioner.
- Experience drafting and prosecuting 10+ US utility patent applications.
- Ability to handle applications in the electrical and mechanical arts (a technical degree in the electrical arts is preferred).
- Well-developed legal writing skills.
Applicants with all technical backgrounds will be considered. An electrical engineering degree is a plus.
In order to be considered, applications must include a cover letter, resume and writing samples. Writing samples must include at least one patent application for which you drafted the specification and claims and a substantive Office action response. A legal brief (such as a motion for summary judgment) would also be helpful. Interested Candidates should APPLY ONLINE
About Design IP:
Design IP is the Lehigh Valley’s only full service firm specializing in intellectual property law.
We have a robust practice that includes a wide range of technical disciplines and a diverse client base, ranging from individuals to Fortune 500 companies. We also offer the lifestyle benefits of the Lehigh Valley, including short commute times (less than 15 minutes for most of our staff), reasonable cost of living, excellent public and parochial schools, close proximity to Philadelphia, New York and Washington, DC, and minor league hockey and baseball teams. This is a great place to live and raise a family.