Are you an experienced intellectual property attorney with a passion for protecting powerful brands? Do you want to work in a fast-paced setting with fantastic colleagues, interesting challenges, and opportunities to make a real impact? Techtronic Industries North America, Inc. (TTI) is seeking a Trademark & Brand Protection Counsel. This position reports to the Group Chief Patent Counsel of the IP_HQ team and will be located at our Group Headquarters site in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
TTI is a USD $7+ billion global leader in quality consumer and professional products with a portfolio of world-renowned brands including Milwaukee™, AEG™, Ryobi™, Homelite™, Hoover™, Dirt Devil™, Oreck™, VAX™, Empire™, Imperial Blades™, Stiletto™, and Hart™. Motivated by four strategic drivers—Powerful Brands, Innovative Products, Exceptional People, and Operational Excellence—we offer competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package including tuition assistance, 401(k), medical/dental/vision coverage, vacation, and holidays.
Our IP_HQ shared service team provides IP services to our talented IP colleagues and internal clients at TTI’s business units around the world. We’re looking for an exceptional trademark attorney to help us fulfill this mission. The successful candidate will undertake a diverse array of trademark, copyright, and brand protection matters, and ultimately increase the return on TTI’s investment in innovation. Additionally, this position will contribute to TTI’s global brand protection strategy, develop processes and procedures related to insourced and outsourced IP work, and partner with business units on special projects.
- Counsel IP colleagues and stakeholders at TTI’s business units on trademark and brand protection issues to help guide global trademark and business strategy.
- Conduct or oversee trademark clearance searching and provide legal opinions for the US and abroad.
- Manage trademark application filing and prosecution, docketing, and maintenance matters, as well as opposition and cancellation proceedings before the TTAB.
- Manage brand authorization and packaging review matters on behalf of marketing teams.
- Support trademark licensing, policing, anti-counterfeiting, enforcement, and controversy matters, including filing takedown requests, coordinating domain name transfers and acquisitions, and
- maintaining a database for brand policing matters.
- Drive internal and external adoption of best practices for insourced and outsourced brand protection activities.
- Team up with IP counsel at TTI’s business units on initiatives related to trademark filing and prosecution, portfolio rationalization and cost optimization, M&A transactions, and other IP and legal matters.
- Engage closely with TTI sites in Greenville, SC, Charlotte, NC, Brookfield, WI, Europe, and China, through virtual and in-person engagements.
- JD from a nationally accredited law school; active member of a state bar in good standing.
- 4-7 years of hands-on, tactical trademark, copyright, and brand protection experience in areas such as filing and prosecution, portfolio management, clearance searching, and licensing and enforcement.
- Demonstrated success in working collaboratively with local business units in forging solid partnerships.
- Fast learner, critical thinker, and creative problem solver who can navigate complex legal and business-related subject matter.
- Proven track record leveraging brand protection strategies to achieve business objectives, applying a highly collaborative approach with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent oral and written communication and advocacy skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to integrate detailed and big-picture thinking.
- Able to multitask in a fast-paced environment and open to tackling new types of projects.
- Humble, curious, capable, and driven professional who thrives on teamwork, challenging projects, and career development opportunities.
Preferred Experience in:
- Law firm or corporate practice settings.
- International trademark matters, including those in Europe and Asia, and the Madrid Protocol.
- Utilizing software tools and service providers to support trademark and brand protection needs.
- Developing and optimizing IP processes and procedures.
- Planning and executing projects to timely provide high-impact deliverables.
- Training personnel on brand protection basics and best practices.
Interested Candidates are asked to send a resume to TTI’s Director of Recruiting, Sam Sadeghi.
Techtronic Industries North America (TTI) is a USD $7+ billion global leader in quality consumer and professional products with a portfolio of world-renowned brands including Milwaukee™, AEG™, Ryobi™, Homelite™, Hoover™, Dirt Devil™, Oreck™, VAX™, Empire™, Imperial Blades™, Stiletto™, and Hart™. Motivated by four strategic drivers—Powerful Brands, Innovative Products, Exceptional People, and Operational Excellence—we offer competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package including tuition assistance, 401(k), medical/dental/vision coverage, vacation, and holidays.