Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP has an immediate opening for a life sciences patent practitioner (agent or attorney).
This is a full-time, permanent position, in multiple locations including San Diego, CA.
On the cutting edge of IP for more than 120 years, Pillsbury’s intellectual property team provides clients with successful and comprehensive IP strategies to protect, manage and optimize IP assets. We also assert and defend infringement claims and resolve IP-related disputes before regulatory bodies, in courts and at the negotiating table. Our team includes more than 100 IP lawyers — many bilingual — plus technical consultants, patent agents, and former U.S. Patent and Trademark Office examiners. Many team members are scientists and engineers with advanced degrees in electrical and mechanical engineering, chemistry, biotechnology, physics and numerous other technical disciplines. With offices in key business centers and an extensive network of handpicked international IP practitioners, we secure and enforce worldwide IP assets and help clients optimize their market position.
- Develop and implement patent filing strategies.
- Conduct interviews with clients to obtain invention disclosures.
- Prepare patent applications under the supervision of a patent attorney.
- Analyze office actions and prepare responses under the supervision of an IP partner or attorney.
- Conduct interviews with Patent Office examiners and other patent prosecution-related activity.
- Assist in formulating and preparing infringement and validity opinions, work on patent post-grant proceedings, assist in patent and other litigation, and support intellectual property licensing and other transactions.
- Effectively manage a docket with multiple clients and deadlines.
- Conduct legal and technical research and analysis using all available resources in support of various patent-related matters.
- Work closely with attorneys, other agents, and staff to research the invention and draft the specifications using technical expertise in the field.
- Follow the ethical requirements as set forth by the Firm’s professional liability insurer.
- Various other tasks as requested/needed.
- The qualified candidate must have a Ph.D. in biological sciences, preferably immunology, virology, molecular biology, cell and gene therapy, biochemistry, cell biology, or genetics.
- Successful completion of the patent agent examination.
- 3+ years of experience preparing and prosecuting patents.
- Qualified attorney candidates must have a Juris Doctor degree (JD) from an accredited law school and be eligible to practice law in their state of residence.
- Must have excellent attention to detail, strong interpersonal communication skills, and be a highly-motivated, business-minded, team player.
- Must be able to learn new technologies quickly and have a strong ability to write scientific and technical documents in clear, concise English.
- Effectively manage multiple matters simultaneously with various deadlines.
- Possess the technical and analytical skills necessary to conduct complex and detailed analysis of patent-related matters.
- Possess the interpersonal skills necessary to communicate with a diverse group of attorneys, staff, and clients and provide information with courtesy and tact in person, electronically, and by phone.
Interested Candidates are asked to Apply Online with their resume and writing samples.
Please mention you found the position on the IPWatchdog JobOrtunities™ Job Board.
Learn more about Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP:
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP is an international law firm with a particular focus on the technology & media, energy, financial, and real estate & construction sectors. Recognized as one of the most innovative law firms by Financial Times and one of the top firms for client service by BTI Consulting, Pillsbury and its lawyers are highly regarded for their forward-thinking approach, their enthusiasm for collaborating across disciplines and their authoritative commercial awareness. That’s how we have achieved the 12th-highest percentage of Chambers-ranked lawyers among all AmLaw 100 firms.
Pillsbury brings innovation to more than just its legal work. That same pioneering vision directs our diversity initiatives. Among the first major law firms to promote women to partnership and the first large, national firm in the U.S. to elect a woman as its top leader, Pillsbury earned the 2017 Law Firm of the Year Award from Chambers Women in Law for furthering women’s career progression. Today, diversity is widespread in firm leadership; attorneys of color, women attorneys and LGBT attorneys lead our practices and offices and serve on influential firm committees. Year after year, Pillsbury’s inclusion efforts are recognized by Vault.com, the National Association of Female Executives and the Human Rights Campaign, among other organizations, and the firm has been named to Working Mother’s 100 Best Companies list for 12 consecutive years.