Aurora Consulting is looking for an experienced patent agent to help with portfolio management, growth initiatives, content development, and business administration.
This is a full-time, permanent, remote (U.S. only) position.
Opportunity: This will begin as a fully remote role with 30+ hours most weeks, and a very flexible schedule. We are in the midst of a critical growth period, sparked mainly by client love and referrals, so this is a huge opportunity to make a major impact at a pivotal time. Let’s talk!
Location Note: Some job boards require us to specify a city, but we’re fully distributed, so you can work from any reasonably well Internet-connected location in the US.
What you’ll do:
You will help us navigate a very dynamic growth stage by assisting, as needed, in a wide array of disciplines including:
- Patent portfolio management. Working closely with each client’s business, legal, technical, and management teams, you will assist with the client’s patent strategy and portfolio development efforts, including identifying and capturing inventive technologies, performing patent searches, preparing applications, and guiding patent prosecution.
- Growth initiatives. You will help us continue our growth trajectory via active participation in networking, business development, and speaking engagements (virtual for now). This is compensated time and eligible for profit sharing.
- Content development. We’re launching several digital outreach experiments this year, and we may need your help in developing blog, video, and podcast content.
- Administrative backend. We’re working toward more automated solutions, but we still have several monthly tasks around reporting and project management that require human touch.
Who you are:
You have an undying love for enabling innovations and supporting inventors with the highest level of quality, high-touch service. Ideally, you’ll also have a good mix of the following:
- Registered USPTO Patent agent with a background in bioengineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, software, or related technical discipline. A Master’s degree, Ph.D., and/or J.D. is preferable.
- 2+ years as an experienced patent strategist who is technically skilled and comfortable drafting and reviewing utility and design patent applications in the fast-paced startup world. You should be able to share a few office action responses and patent numbers or published patent applications that were predominantly drafted by you.
- Experience performing patentability and freedom-to-operate analysis.
- Experience tracking and maintaining multiple clients’ patent portfolios in different subject matter areas, monitoring portfolios with docketing systems, and providing regular updates to clients.
- Ability to review and analyze technically complex documents, including scientific papers, patents, and technical specifications.
- Excellent organizational, verbal communication, and writing skills.
- Team player with proven ability to work with dynamic and diverse groups of engineers, inventors, and business and strategy teams.
- Can self-direct, manage, and motivate. Takes personal ownership and responsibility for driving results and achieving milestones.
- Comfortable wearing many hats while prioritizing and managing multiple deadlines.
- Possess strong attention to detail and accuracy.
Prior experience working remotely in a distributed environment is helpful. And it would be over-the-top if you also have public speaking and/or business development experience.
Interested Candidates are asked to Apply Online with their resume and cover letter.
In your cover letter, please include references to:
- Two Google Patents links to issued patents or published pending applications that were predominantly drafted by you
- Two office action responses that resulted in issued patents or that were favorably reviewed by the USPTO
Please mention you found the position on the IPWatchdog JobOrtunities™ Job Board.
About Aurora Consulting LLC:
What we do: We specialize in working with early-stage life science, med device, digital health, and software companies to develop valuable patent portfolios through highly tailored, comprehensive strategies. We scale with our clients’ needs and deeply understand the nuances of technology and patent strategy, and how to tie them effectively to business objectives.
Who we are: We are a fully distributed company with a culture that promotes a high degree of autonomy, work ownership, and quality at every step. You work where, when, and how you want – with others who have a deep passion for technology. We are engineers and scientists first. Our team has multiple advanced engineering and science degrees.