World Intellectual Property Organization is seeking a Head of PCT User Resources Section (21201-FT)
The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) is seeking to hire a Head of PCT User Resources Section. This contracted position is located in Geneva, Switzerland, and is a non-fixed-term appointment. The new Head of PCT Resources Section will begin with a 2-year contract that is renewable based on performance over the initial 2 years.
Contract Duration: 2 Years (Initial period of two years, renewable, subject to satisfactory performance. No fixed-term appointment or any extension hereof shall carry with it any expectancy of, nor imply any right to, (further) extensions or conversion to a permanent appointment.)
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Application Deadline: October 21, 2021, 5:59:00 PM
Important Notice Regarding Application Deadline: Please note that the deadline for applications is indicated in local time as per the time zone of the applicant’s location.
The post is located in the PCT User Resources Section, PCT Legal and User Relations Division, PCT Legal and International Affairs Department, Patents and Technology Sector. The PCT User Resources Section creates and manages PCT-related data, processing it into outputs which are relied upon by PCT stakeholders (in particular, applicants, Offices of PCT member States and the general public, and by staff of the International Bureau), which is of utmost importance for the proper functioning of the PCT system and WIPO’s internal and external-facing PCT IT systems.
The main role of the incumbent is to supervise and direct the staff and the activities of the Section, ensuring the quality and timeliness of outputs. S/he will also propose new strategic directions in the area of content management with the goal of enhancing the customer experience when consulting and interacting with PCT information resources.
The incumbent works under the supervision of the Director of the Division.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform the following principal duties:
- Manage staff of the Section and evaluate their work, calling upon his/her required PCT subject matter expertise in ensuring substantive correctness of all work products, allocating resources for the completion and timely delivery of work products in accordance with results-based management principles and to the required levels of quality; contribute to the preparation of the Division’s workplan and budget and monitor implementation thereof, set performance indicators in collaboration with the Director of the Division, prepare performance reports and strategic plans. In the absence of the Director and the Deputy Director, the Head of the User Resources Section will act as Officer in Charge of the Division.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight in relation to the content management (receipt, processing, maintenance and dissemination) of PCT reference data.
- Advise the Director of the Division on knowledge management policies and practices in relation to PCT reference data, and implementing such practices within the Division.
- Oversee the preparation, updating, publication, translation and maintenance of PCT information resources, including in particular PCT legal texts, PCT informational publications, externally-facing PCT-related resources and mission-critical internal legal resources.
- Make recommendations for enhancement of the customer experience when interacting with PCT information resources, including through the use of new media; manage projects for improvements to the presentation of PCT information resources, in particular as a result of the biennial PCT User Survey.
- In cooperation with colleagues from other Divisions, provide direction and management in relation to the development, implementation and maintenance of information technology systems for the management of PCT reference data.
- Build and maintain partnerships with PCT Offices and Authorities, particularly as relates to the provision of PCT-specific data.
- Represent the Organization at meetings concerning the PCT; prepare and oversee the preparation of related reports; provide advice and recommendations on the promotion of the PCT; plan, organize and lead seminars, training courses and workshops, including preparation of documents and delivery of lectures.
- Engage meaningfully in the multi-Divisional development of conceptual approaches for improvements to the PCT legal framework, and the development of future PCT-related services, features and functionalities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Advanced university degree in law, natural sciences, engineering or similar field. A first level university degree in one of the aforementioned disciplines plus two years of relevant professional experience in addition to the years of experience mentioned below may be acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Specialization or further qualification in patent law.
- Detailed knowledge of and experience with the PCT.
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in the field of patents, either in the public or private sector.
- Knowledge of and experience with WIPO’s PCT information resources.
- Experience with content management and knowledge management.
- Experience with processes involving data management and review and production of text, publications and reference data similar in nature to the processes managed in the Section.
Excellent written and spoken knowledge of English.
Ability to work in other PCT languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian or Spanish).
Job Related Competencies (Essential):
- Strong analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent people and resource management skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Ability to cultivate innovation and manage change: proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives and accountability in delivering results.
- Competent user of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and the internet.
Job Related Competencies (Desirable):
Familiarity with results-based management.
- Communicating effectively.
- Showing team spirit.
- Demonstrating integrity.
- Valuing diversity.
- Producing results.
- Showing service orientation.
- Seeing the big picture.
- Seeking change and innovation.
- Developing yourself and others.
Interested candidates are asked to Apply Online.
Please mention you found the position on the IPWatchdog JobOrtunities™ Job Board.
About World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO):
WIPO’s mission is to lead the development of a balanced and effective international IP system that enables innovation and creativity for the benefit of all. WIPO’s mandate, governing bodies and procedures are set out in the WIPO Convention, which established WIPO in 1967.