Marshall, Gerstein & Borun is seeking a talented Associate, Patent Agent or Technical Specialist to join our Electrical/Computer Science practice group. This full-time, permanent position will be located in their Chicago, IL office.
Responsibilities Will Include:
- Interviewing inventors to learn about new ideas to be patented. Our clients include some of the world’s largest and most technologically advanced companies.
Preparing and prosecuting patent applications, investigating and preparing non-infringement and invalidity opinions, occasionally participating in patent litigation to provide technical support, and performing related client counseling tasks.
- Associates will be advocating for our clients before the U.S. Patent Trademark Office to seek issuance of a patent. This includes writing and amending claims for the patent application, as well as analyzing patents and other publications relating to high technology inventions.
- This position demands that the individual will, under the supervision of senior practitioners, assume significant client responsibilities, provide high-quality services to domestic and foreign clients, communicate with all levels of management and staff and, at times, will require a significant degree of autonomy.
Strong academic credentials, including having graduated in the top third of his/her law school class, and having obtained at a minimum an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or Physics from a top 50 engineering school. Candidates should have obtained a 3.0 GPA at all levels of education.
Advanced degrees are a significant plus.
At least 2-4 years of software patent preparation and prosecution experience
Licensed to practice law in Illinois (or licensed to practice law in another state and qualified to sit for the Illinois bar exam), and admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Excellent communication skills–both written and verbal–and exceptional organizational skills.
Patent Agent/Technical Specialist Credentials:
- Strong academic credentials, which should minimally include an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or Physics from a top 50 engineering school. Candidates should have obtained a 3.0 GPA at all levels of education.
- Advanced degrees are a significant plus.
- At least two years of hardware and/or software work experience and/or patent preparation and prosecution experience
- Understanding of e-commerce systems, financial systems, mobile phone apps, communications systems, and/or process control systems is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills–both written and verbal–and exceptional organizational skills.
- Compensation & Benefits:
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation for this position includes an annual salary highly competitive within the Chicago market for law firm associates or patent agents (based on level of experience), along with customary benefits and opportunities to earn significant bonuses. Customary benefits include:
- Group Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Employee and Dependent Medical Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Accident and Critical Illness Plans
- Short-Term Disability Program
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- 401(K), Profit Sharing and Vesting
- Pre-Tax Transportation Plan
- Identify Theft Protection
- Employee Assistance Program
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Bright Horizons-Back-Up Child, Adult, and Elder Care
- Stipend and Interest Free Loan Program
- Moving Expenses
- Bar Fees and Related Expenses
- Continuing Legal Education
- Holiday and Paid Time Off
In addition to our generous benefits package, Marshall, Gerstein & Borun offers a culture with great work-life balance in a business-casual atmosphere. Ample opportunity for socialization between our colleagues is encouraged and enjoyed at virtual happy hours and firm-wide GoToMeeting or Zoom events. In addition, we look forward to the return of our monthly breakfasts, special-occasion luncheons, social gatherings, and out-of-office functions when circumstances permit.
Interested Qualified Candidates:
Qualified individuals interested in this position should forward a curriculum vitae, transcripts and writing samples to Sylvia Szewczyk.
Please mention you found the position on the IPWatchdog JobOrtunities™ Job Board.
About Marshall Gerstein:
Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP is committed to diversity, equity & inclusion and to the recruitment, retention, and advancement of the most talented and qualified professionals. We recognize that diversity at all levels of our firm, and the collective strength of our differences, enables us to better serve our clients, create enduring relationships, provide a platform for continued success, and improve both the vibrancy and innovation of our working environment.
Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We adhere to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.