Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is committed to being the best global kitchen and laundry company, in constant pursuit of improving life at home. In an increasingly digital world, the company is driving purposeful innovation to meet the evolving needs of consumers through its iconic brand portfolio, including Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, JennAir, Indesit and Yummly. In 2021, the company reported approximately $22 billion in annual sales, 69,000 employees and 54 manufacturing and technology research centers.
Whirlpool Corporation is consistently recognized by FORTUNE as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies. Our values are the driving force behind everything we do. Integrity, Respect, Inclusion & Diversity, One Whirlpool, and Spirit of Winning propel our teams to excellence. Get to know us and see what it’s like to be part of a company that is in constant pursuit of improving life at home.
This position will be responsible for providing legal counsel and services on matters involving innovation Intellectual Property (IP), including patents, trade secrets, trade dress and copyrights. This position reports through the law department and supports Whirlpool’s global product organization, including its advanced development and product engineering groups.
In this position you will have the opportunity to lead Whirlpool on creating and executing Innovation IP strategies for product categories, projects and future technology.
A Patent Counsel is expected to bring both leadership and expertise to the area of patents and product leadership both to internal clients and to the law department as a whole. Specifically, you will be able to ensure Whirlpool’s unique and compelling innovations are a core driver of Whirlpool’s success in product leadership and improving life at home.
- Developing and executing patent strategies related to assigned Whirlpool innovation and technology areas.
- Supporting various innovation generation activities such as invention workshops and innovation challenges to target development of strategic innovation intellectual property
- Reviewing invention submissions and advising on patentability issues and arranging for the filing and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications.
- Establishing product clearance plans and reviewing and advising on patent infringement risks.
- Providing intellectual property advice and training to clients.
- Drafting and assisting in the negotiation and administration of intellectual property related contracts, including confidentiality, development and license agreements, as well as assisting in negotiation of more general commercial agreements, including procurement and various service agreements, and ability to train others in these roles.
- Investigating and pursuing patent infringement and enforcement opportunities, including patent litigation.
- Leadership of special IP projects.
- Consistently exhibiting strong expertise in intellectual property issues relevant to our business.
- Driving continuous improvement in assigned areas, using process/project methodology.
A Patent Counsel at Whirlpool should additionally be able to:
- Provide thought leadership in the ways to advance Whirlpool’s business strategy as well as protecting the company in the area of patents.
- Lead various strategic legal projects.
- Be highly productive with the ability to recognize and cut to the core of legal issues and then provide a practical, business-oriented approach to problem solving.
- Be relied upon to effectively and independently manage major projects
- Be seen as having expertise where their bearing and demeanor instills confidence and trust in peers and clients and creates a demand for continued and additional advice.
- Provide strong communication, including upwards, downwards and across.
- JD from an accredited law school, Bar Admission, and admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- 2+ years of legal experience as an attorney.
Preferred Skills and Experiences:
- Technical Bachelor’s degree such as electrical or mechanical engineering
- Experience in patent preparation, prosecution, IP transactions (e.g., development and licensing agreements), product clearance, and patent litigation is highly desirable.
- Ability to prioritize and manage a large volume of concurrent projects.
- Strong analytical, research, organization and management skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication (both written and oral) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results as a leader or member of a cross functional team
- Ability to provide strong strategic thought to Whirlpool’s patent processes.
Employees in this role can work a hybrid schedule of three core days in office and two days remote. This enables employees to come together to collaborate in-person and gives employees the added flexibility to work remotely.
Connect with us and learn more about Whirlpool Corporation.
Interested Candidates are asked to apply via the Whirpool website.
Please mention you found the position on the IPWatchdog JobOrtunities™ Job Board.
About Whirlpool Corporation:
At Whirlpool Corporation, we value and celebrate diversity. Whirlpool Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity and prohibits any discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other category protected by applicable law.