Unified Patents is again growing its legal department, and seeks to add an experienced, registered patent attorney.
This is a full-time, permanent, remote position in Washington, DC area.
Applicants should have at least 5 years of law firm or other relevant experience before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) working on post-grant petitions (IPR, PGR, and CBM), reexaminations, or other administrative drafting and litigation experience. Applicants should have a strong technical background and be willing to explore diverse new technologies; experience with video codecs, coding, cryptography, compression, signals, wireless communications, or other algorithmic subject matter is a plus. Patent examination experience is a plus; a registration number is a plus; clerking experience is a plus; familiarity with ongoing appellate issues affecting PTAB practice is a plus. Must be willing to work within a team, work well independently, and enjoy writing and editing. Journal and filing experience is a plus. Strong preference for candidates located in the Washington, DC area. Diversity is prized in our team and among our candidates. Please be prepared to discuss the administrative matters you have been involved in and be ready to provide examples.
- Managing patent office proceedings internally
- Drafting, filing, and litigating patent office proceedings, e.g., inter partes reviews
- Handling calls with decision-makers
- Preparing for, and conducting depositions
- Presenting at oral hearings
- Drafting motions and briefs
- Supporting senior attorneys with management of ongoing matters
- Support docketing, e-filing, deposit account, budgeting, and other IP functions
- Editing work product of colleagues, outside counsel
- Amicus curiae drafting and support; comment drafting and support
- Contract, licensing, and other legal support services
- Legal writing, support, and other various legal duties
- 5 years of PTAB (drafting petitions, filing, litigating, deposition) experience.
- State Bar and Patent Registration Examination passage.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills.
Interested candidates are asked to Apply Online with their resume and should be prepared to discuss the administrative matters they have been involved in and be ready to provide examples.
Please mention you found the position on the IPWatchdog JobOrtunities™ Job Board.
About Unified Patents:
Founded in 2012, Unified Patents is an international membership organization that seeks to improve patent quality and deter unsubstantiated or invalid patent assertions in defined technology sectors (Zones) through its activities. As a deterrence entity, its actions focus on substantial assertions by Standards Essential Patents (SEP) holders and/or Non-Practicing Entities (NPEs). These actions may include analytics, prior art, invalidity contests, patentability analysis, administrative patent review (PTAB), amicus briefs, economic surveys, and essentiality studies. Unified works independently of its members to achieve its deterrence goals. Small members join for free, while larger organizations pay modest annual fees.