Patents are notoriously hard to value, which makes licensing (and cross-licensing) of large patent portfolios exponentially harder. Recent SEP decisions such as TCL and Unwired Planet remind us that there isn’t even a reliable way to determine the number of SEPs. The battleground is typically how many positives you own (numerator) and how many there are in the wild (the denominator).
Building on this reality, we will discuss the use of advances in patent analytics to establish patent populations. This is a project which has the support of AST, and will be discussed by reference to the AST Product taxonomy.
In this 30-minute webinar Nigel Swycher, CEO and Steve Harris CTO will discuss:
- Accepted methodology for calculating balance of trade in cross-licenses
- Why the AST Product Taxonomy was selected
- Using AI classifiers to calculate key variables in license negotiations
- Combining patent analysis with royalty and revenue data
- How companies use analytics to improve rational decision making
The webinar will include a live demonstration of Cipher n/d, and how companies are integrating weightings to take account of the relative importance of technologies and patent quality metrics.
Read more about the AST collaboration here.